Kalamazoo's Post-War Photographer
Lancellotto A. Ferraro (Lance) and his Ferraro Studio was one of Kalamazoo’s most active post-war photographers, visually capturing a variety of social and commercial facets of Kalamazoo, in addition to portraiture work. Ferraro operated at 1309 S. Westnedge for 41 years, retiring in 2000.
In addition to chronicling his beloved Kalamazoo, Ferraro also served his community by sitting on the Kalamazoo City Commission. During the 1940s and 1950s, Ferraro served as the photographer for the Kalamazoo Civic Players, and later published a book of his photographs of President John F. Kennedy’s 1960 campaign visit to Kalamazoo. Here is a small sampling of some of his work.
“Behind the camera, Lance Ferraro has seen local history unfold and generations grow up.”
—Kalamazoo Gazette, 10 December 2000
The Kalamazoo Inn Motel, 200 N. Park St., 1968
Spartan Department Store, 322 Stockbridge, 1966
First National Bank and Trust Company, c.1960
Spring Brook, Cooper Township at Riverview Dr., c.1960
Gilmore’s Delivery Van, 1967
Written by Ryan Gage, Kalamazoo Public Library staff, September 2023
Local History Photograph Collection
Local History Room Files
Name File: Ferraro, Lance