NOTICE: The Children’s Room at Central Library is currently closed due to a water leakage. Children’s programming at Central Library has been canceled until further notice. 

NOTICE: The Eastwood Branch will be closed on April 29th & 30th for maintenance needs. 

See the latest updates about Alma Powell Branch.

Buildings

Albert White: African American Builder

Albert White was an African American building contractor who lived and worked in Kalamazoo from the 1870s until his death in 1930. He and his men helped build a number of well known structures in Kalamazoo history.

American National Bank Building

Built between 1928-29, one of Kalamazoo’s boldest and most prominent downtown buildings is the American National Bank Building (1933-1987), also known as the Art Deco skyscraper that at various times…

Asbestos Row and the Dewing Building

The story of the Dewing Building (132 N. Kalamazoo Mall), a structure so long that it embodies an entire city block (from Michigan Avenue to Water Street), will forever be…

Bowers Building

Photo by Kanti Sandhu, from Kalamazoo: The Place Behind the Products, p. 219 Situated at 610 W. Willard Street, the Bowers Building is currently home to the Water Street Coffee…

Burdick Hotel

The origins of hospitality on the present site of the Radisson Plaza Hotel date to August 1850 when construction of an imposing four-story brick structure began. Built by Frank Dennison and initially known simply as Dennison’s brick block, the new...

Columbia Hotel

In 1870 the Grand Rapids and Indiana Railroad began service through Kalamazoo with a passenger station on the southeast corner of Pitcher Street and East Main, today’s East Michigan Avenue. The presence of this station and the countless out-of-town..

Congregation of Moses Synagogue

431 E. South Street, Photo: Ryan Gage One of the oldest buildings along E. South Street to have escaped the bulldozer was the home of the synagogue of the Congregation…

Corporation Hall

Kalamazoo’s government has had several homes over the years. The first structure built for the purpose was Corporation Hall, which was erected in 1867 and located on the west side of South Burdick Street...

Corporation Hall - City Hall

Kalamazoo Village officers first got a home of their own with the 1867 construction of Corporation Hall on the west side of S. Burdick Street between South Street and Michigan Avenue. Fire companies were located on the first floor, with additional...

Desenberg Building

Downtown Kalamazoo’s Michigan Avenue is home to the last known Louis Sullivan-designed building in the state of Michigan. Located at 251 E. Michigan Avenue, the Desenberg Building was built in 1886…

Fire Houses

The building of fire stations throughout the city became common in the early 20th century as the city limits expanded outward from its central business district and historic neighborhoods. By…

Grand Rapids and Indiana Line Station

The present “Whistlestop” restaurant began as a way station in a dream to run rail lines from Fort Wayne through Grand Rapids to Mackinac and then to connect across the Upper Peninsula with the Northern Pacific. “Western Michigan...

Hanselman Building

Prior to the turn of the century, no commercial buildings in the city exceeded four stories. That all changed in 1907 when the city’s first steel-framed skyscraper, the Kalamazoo National Bank Building, rose an astounding eight-stories over the...

Hugh J. McHugh Building

Hugh J. McHugh Building, 2023. Photo by Ryan Gage Situated in the heart of the Haymarket District, an Irish immigrant named Hugh J. McHugh built a handsome, three-story brick building…

Humphrey Block

Don’t believe everything you read. There’s a historical marker at the corner of Michigan Avenue and Portage Street that commemorates the building’s designation as a Michigan Historic Site. The building…

Hurd Building

Charles Hurd was 25 as he opened up his farm in Oshtemo Township in 1835--when Kalamazoo was doing the nation's most profitable "land-office business". For twenty years he farmed and raised a family, then moved to Kalamazoo in 1855. He bought a...

Illinois Envelope Company Building

Added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1983, the Illinois Envelope Company Building is the last remaining structure that was once part of the sprawling complex of paper-making/supporting…

Interurban Building

Located on the east side of Portage Street (169-171), just north of E. South Street, the Interurban Building stands today, a survivor of time, fire, weather and urban redevelopment.

Kalamazoo Armory

Demolished in August of 1978, the Kalamazoo Armory Building (aka Michigan Armory Building) stood at 162 E. Water Street for more than six decades, serving as the headquarters for Company…

Kalamazoo Building

At the turn of the twentieth century skyscrapers were still a relatively recent development. The desire to build taller had historically been thwarted by the number of stairs people were willing to climb and how much weight masonry could support...

Share: Facebook Twitter