Central Library has free rapid COVID-19 test kits available on the first floor.
1 box (each box has two rapid tests) per individual or 5 per household. First come first served — no reserving or picking up for others.

Lovell Street School

Established 1867


First Lovell Street School, 1865-1883

The original Lovell Street School, a two-story wooden building, opened in 1867 at the corner of East Lovell Street and what was then Pine Street. It was called the “New Union”, as opposed to the “Old Union” high school on what is now South Westnedge. The first building  burned in late 1883 and was replaced by a handsome brick one on the same site the following year. It continued to be used as a school until 1926, after which it housed the Kalamazoo Public Schools administration building until 1960. The building was then sold to Bronson Methodist Hospital, which promptly demolished it. Pine Street was vacated, so the school site is now occupied by hospital buildings.

Kalamazoo Public Schools Administration Building, 1940. Formerly the second Lovell Street School. KPL Photo P-954.

Sources

Manuscripts

Chronology of Lovell Street School
Compiled by Eric Alstrom, May 1986
Copy available in History Room Subject File: Kalamazoo Public Schools – Lovell Street School


Articles

“Lovell Street school burned”
Kalamazoo Gazette (daily), 1 January 1884, p.3.

“Kazoo’s public school system 92 years old”
Kalamazoo Gazette, 18 October 1925
Copy available in History Room Subject File: Kalamazoo Public Schools Scrapbook #4, p.2.

“Latest educational methods give unequalled opportunity”
Kalamazoo Gazette, 18 October 1925
Copy available in History Room Subject File: Kalamazoo Public Schools Scrapbook #4, p.4.

“Landmark in its day”
Kalamazoo Gazette, 17 August 1960, p.19.


Files

History Room Subject File: Kalamazoo Public Schools – Lovell Street School


Maps

Illustrated Atlas, Kalamazoo County, Michigan. 1890.
Published by WM. C. Sauer, C. E., 1890
History Room map case, left shelf #1.

 

Share: Facebook Twitter