South Street, W., 447 : David Lilienfeld House
The Lilienfeld House at 447 W. South Street was added to the National Register of Historic Places on 23 January 1986. In addition to being listed on the National Register, the Lilienfeld House enjoys local historic district status as a single resource historic district.
Located adjacent to the Marlborough Building and currently operated as The Kalamazoo House, this distinctive Late Victorian house was originally owned by David Lilienfeld. Lilienfeld was born in Germany in 1836 and, along with his brother William, relocated to Kalamazoo 1859. The Lilienfelds were engaged in several business ventures including cigar making and wholesale liquor distribution and operated Lilies Cigar Company, which would grow to employ 250 workers at the height of production.
Today, the Kalamazoo House serves as one of downtown Kalamazoo’s premiere lodging destinations as a bed & breakfast.
National Register Information
The following information reflects the manner in which The Lilienfeld House is categorized by the National Register of Historic Places and the Michigan State Historic Preservation Office.
Domestic – Single dwelling
Domestic – Hotel
Period of Significance:
National Register Information System Item Number:
Compiled by Patrick Jouppi, Kalamazoo Public Library Staff, September 2010
Kalamazoo, the Place Behind the Products: an Illustrated History
- Massie, Larry B. & Schmitt, Peter J.
- H 977.418 M417A
National Register of Historic Places Official Website–Part of the National Park Service
National Register of Historic Places
Kalamazoo Michigan’s Premiere Bed & Breakfast Inn