Notice of Public Meeting: Kalamazoo Public Library Board of Trustees | February 26th| 5 pm | Central Library/Board Room. The packet of information for the meeting can be found on the library’s website

Updates on the Alma Powell Branch Library can be found on

William L. Welsh Terrace

Added to the NRHP in 1983

Welsh Terrace, c.1980, Walking Through Time: A Pictorial Guide to Historical Kalamazoo, p.122

The Welsh Terrace is a three-story brick veneer Colonial Revival structure topped with a mansard roof. The facade is divided into three parts, with a central, projecting pavilion flanked by an engaged towers with conical roofs. A broad Tuscan-column front porch extends across the structure. Bay window units on each side elevation also have high, conical roofs. Dentiled cornices run under the roof. Gabled dormers, some containing round-headed windows, pierce the mansard roof.

William L. Welsh was one of Kalamazoo’s prominent nineteenth-century builders. In 1895, Welsh constructed this small apartment building on land adjacent to his house. The building was designed as a triplex for well-to-do families. Among the first occupants of the Welsh Terrace was Kalamazoo paper manufacturer Frank Milham, one of the founders of the Bryant Paper Mill.

Reprinted description from the National Register of Historic Places


National Register of Historic Places

Share: Facebook Twitter