South side of E. South St., east of Burdick St.
Originally opened as the Majestic Theatre in 1907. Enlarged and reopened as the Capitol August 30, 1924.
Survived as a film house until December 4, 1976.
Information originally compiled in 1995 by J.P. Jenks. Additional information was later added by library staff. Information compiled from Kalamazoo City Directory listings, details obtained in researching newspaper reports published at the time by the Kalamazoo Gazette and Kalamazoo Telegraph Press, Sanborn Fire Insurance maps, Kalamazoo County Warranty Deeds and numerous other sources.
A History of Theater in Kalamazoo
Pixley, Jorge V., 1958
H 792 P694
Theater in Kalamazoo from 1860–1890
Johns, Marion, 1955
H 792 J65
Local History Room Files
Subject File: Theater
Subject File: Elite Theater
Subject File: Majestic Theater