NOTICE: Beginning Sunday, May 26, Central Library will begin observing summer hours and will be CLOSED on Sundays until September 8. 

NOTICE: All KPL locations will be CLOSED on Monday, May 27 in observance of the Memorial Day Holiday. 

See the latest updates about Alma Powell Branch.

Divorce and Custody

Divorce and Custody Paperwork Available at the Law Library

Basic Information about the Packets:

  • Divorce and custody packets are available in the Law Library, located on the second floor of the Central Library.
  • Packets are available for divorces with or without minor children.
  • Custody packets are available for unmarried parents to establish custody.
  • Packets include the necessary forms for an uncontested divorce or child custody. In special circumstances other forms may be required.
  • Packets are not mailed or emailed; however, has a way to fill out divorce or custody forms online for free.

Need Help?

The divorce packet has instructions on the basic steps in a divorce. But for detailed, step by step instructions we recommend The Michigan Divorce Book, by Michael Maran or the family law section of We always have a copy of The Michigan Divorce Book to use in the Law Library, but check our catalog for copies that you can check out with your KPL library card.

Frequently Asked Questions

1. Can librarians help fill out divorce forms?
Librarians cannot fill out forms or give legal advice.

2. What is an uncontested divorce?
According to The Michigan Divorce Book, “if you and your spouse agree on all the divorce issues, you have an uncontested divorce.”

3. Do both spouses have to agree to the divorce?
In Michigan, a divorce is granted even if one of the parties does not want the divorce. Before a divorce is granted, the court must find that there has been a breakdown in the marriage relationship to the extent that the parties cannot live together as husband and wife. At least one of the parties must appear in court to show that this breakdown exists (from Michigan Courts website).

4. Does the Law Library carry separation papers?
The Law Library does not carry packets with separation papers, but we do have resources with examples of separation agreements and separate maintenance. For more information about separate maintenance, stop by the Law Library.

5. How much does it cost to file for divorce?
The filing fee in the Kalamazoo County Courts is $150. Motion fees are $20. A fee waiver form is available at the Family Court on Gull Road for low-income individuals.

6. Where are divorce forms filed?
Kalamazoo County residents file for divorce at the Family Division of the Circuit Court, located at 1400 Gull Road. Residents must have lived 180 days in Michigan and 10 days in Kalamazoo County in order to file in Kalamazoo County.

7. Are your divorce packets online?
No, but does have free, online divorce forms. These forms are similar to ours, but not affiliated with the Law Library in any way.

8. What about mediation or “collaborative divorce?”­
Information and brochures on mediation is available in the Law Library.

9. What about hiring an attorney?
The Kalamazoo County Bar Association has a good directory on their website. The State Bar of Michigan has a Lawyer Referral Service. Also, in the Law Library we have the Michigan Bar Journal’s directory.

Share: Facebook Twitter