Local History Collection Microfilm Sets
See also: Area Newspapers
- Michigan: 1820–1930, plus soundexes for 1880–1920. Printed indexes available for 1820–1870. The only available index for the 1930 census is on the Internet. Consult the staff for assistance.
- Michigan — Kalamazoo County: 1850–1880, non-population census (agriculture, social statistics, and industry)
- Census microfilm for some other states in storage. Check with local history librarian.
Kalamazoo County Vital Records
The indices for Births and Marriages continue through 1975, even though the corresponding records have not been filmed. The index to Foreign Deaths continues through 1998. There is no index to the Poorhouse Records.
- Births: 1867–1903
- Marriages: 1831–1950
- Deaths: 1867–1997
- Foreign Deaths: 1931–1989
- Poorhouse Records: 1885–1941, 1950
Miscellaneous Government Records
- Kalamazoo County deeds: 1831–1903 (through Liber 70), including grantee and grantor indexes
- Early Kalamazoo city government records
Record of Service of Michigan Volunteers in the Civil War, 1861–1865, 46 volumes on seven rolls. There is a separate printed index to this set (H 977.4 M61 Index).
Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps
Sanborn fire insurance maps for cities and villages in Kalamazoo County
New England Historic Genealogical Register, volumes 1–136, 1847–1982, including an index to volumes 1–50. Later volumes of the Register are available in paper copy. Volumes 51 through 148 are indexed in four bound volumes that are kept on top of the cabinet that houses the Register microfilm.