Location: (District #14 Fractional) Section 31, south side of G Avenue west of 37th Street.
“A school-house was erected in the Howland neighborhood in 1840, and the first teacher who curbed the youthful spirits was Miss Maria Howland, a niece of E. K. Howland.”
—Samuel W. Durant, History of Kalamazoo County, Michigan, 1880.
Not in 1910 Atlas.
1931-32 Dorothy Olin
1932-33 Ruth Kelley
1933-34 Ruby Romig
1934-36 Florence Maurer
1936-37 Mary Quirk
1937-38 Mildred Hutchens
Not listed after 1938.
Compiled by Catherine Larson, Local History Specialist, Kalamazoo Public Library, 1999. Mapped October 2008. Last updated 26 October 2021.
List of one-room schools still standing in Kalamazoo County in 1982
- Hultmark, Sarah.
- Manuscript, Local History Collection, Kalamazoo Public Library
Maps and atlases
USGS Topographic Map for Kalamazoo County, 1918 (Galesburg Quadrangle)
- History Room topographic map case, drawer 5A, folder 15
Teachers’ and school officers’ directory, Kalamazoo County, Michigan, 1925-1938
- Shelved in a pamphlet box with H 379.774 K149 (History Room Storage)