Fire & blood
New York : Bantam Books, 
"300 years before a Game of thrones, dragons ruled Westeros"--Cover.
Includes lineages and family tree.
The first volume of a definitive two-part history of the Targaryens in Westeros is set centuries before the events of "A Game of Thrones" and answers key questions about the dynasty's origins, conflicts and relationships with dragons.
- Aegon's conquest
- Reign of the dragon: the wars of King Aegon I
- Three heads had the dragon: governance under King Aegon I
- The sons of the dragon
- Prince into king: the ascension of Jaehaerys I
- The year of the three brides: 49 AC
- A surfeit of rulers
- A time of testing: the realm remade
- Birth, death, and betrayal under King Jaehaerys I
- Jaehaerys and Alysanne: their triumphs and tragedies
- The long reign: Jaehaerys and Alysanne: policy, progeny, and pain
- Heirs of the dragon: a question of succession
- The dying of the dragons: the blacks and the greens
- The dying of the dragons: a son for a son
- The dying of the dragons: the red dragon and the gold
- The dying of the dragons: Rhaenyra triumphant
- The dying of the dragons: Rhaenyra overthrown
- The dying of the dragons: the short, sad reign of Aegon II
- Aftermath: the hour of the wolf
- Under the regents: the hooded hand
- Under the regents: war and peace and cattle shows
- Under the regents: the voyage of Alyn Oakenfist
- The Lysene spring and the end of regency
- Lineages and family tree.