Baptism by fire : eight presidents who took office in times of crisis
- 973.099 U66 (CEN)
Thomas Dunne Books,
x, 292 p.,  p. of plates : ill. ; 25 cm.
Presents accounts of eight U.S. presidents who assumed office at times of crisis and how they met high-stakes challenges, from Lincoln's efforts on behalf of a divided nation and FDR's strategies during the Depression to Truman's inheritance of World War II and Kennedy's role in addressing the Cold War.
- George Washington : the first
- Thomas Jefferson : "We are all Republicans, we are all Federalists"
- John Tyler : the accidental president
- Abraham Lincoln : "The Union is unbroken"
- Franklin D. Roosevelt : nothing to fear
- Harry S. Truman : "If you pray, pray for me now"
- John F. Kennedy : "The torch has been passed"
- Gerald R. Ford : "Our long national nightmare is over".