Rebirth and Comeback
In more recent years, Climax has experienced a rebirth and a comeback. In fact, it is now larger than it ever was. Yet, much of Climax harkens back to its past and there are still several farms, some century-old historic farms, within or on the very edge of town. In order to preserve prime farmland from non-farming development, the Love and Leach families have placed some acreage in protection under the Development Rights Agreement Program. Efforts to keep the bulldozers at bay continue.
A 1992 picture book, Homes of Yesterday, portrays 20 19th century homes still there in the village. Nearly half of the town's 350 homes, many renovated or enlarged, are from its early years. The oldest home (ca. 1835) in the village is Judge Eldred's residence. Past Prairie Historical Society president Billie King lives there now. Throughout the village, but mostly around its perimeter, are a variety of larger homes in new subdivisions. According to Dr. Norm Lyons, township clerk, the village has had its biggest spurt of new development in the past ten years and the population likely exceeds its last Census count of 800. The town has grown big enough to have its own water and storm drain systems. The schools have been part of a Climax Scotts Consolidated District since 1958. None of the early one-room schools, including one that was also Judge Eldred's summer kitchen, remain. The Climax School (1880-1926) was replaced by one that now is used by the Climax Prairie Lodge. The United Methodist Church of 1870 continues. The first church in Climax, now a private residence, was the Baptist Church (ca. 1847).
Climax today has a variety of village amenities including a convenience store, beauty shop, auto body repair business, gift shop, and a restaurant called "The Harvester." It is also the home of CTS Phone Company and Lam-Tech, Inc. Village president is Don Stevenson [Bill Rogers, as of October 2007]. In its earlier days, the village was a major flour milling center. Scott's Mill (ca. 1838) and Eureka Mill (ca. 1870) were once famous for their fine flours, the Eureka operating until 1954. Until 1912 there was a weekly newspaper called the Climax Cereal. Later that year, the Climax Crescent began publishing a new weekly newspaper and still does. So, there has been much sowing and reaping in Climax since the days of Hascall and Moore's harvesting machine.