Position Summary: Library aides are instrumental to our library as they work to ensure that materials, media and music are available for our patrons, assist patrons at our public service desks and support the smooth operation of many service areas within our facilities.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Assist patrons at the public desks.
• Monitor public areas.
• Instruct patrons on library policy and use of equipment.
• Enter information into databases.
• Perform clerical tasks.
• Discharge and shelve materials.
• Assist with programming as requested.
• Support other branch locations as needed.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• Ability to communicate clearly with patrons, co-workers and supervisors.
• Ability to follow library policies and procedures, as they relate to issuing library cards, checking out items, and collecting fines and fees.
• Demonstration of excellent customer service skills.
• Ability to work well with diverse populations.
• Evidence of excellent attendance, punctuality and dependability.
• Demonstrated basic proficiency in Microsoft Word and Outlook.
Physical demands and work environment
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Physical demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to travel independently within all areas of the library facilities. In the work environment, described below the position requires verbal and written communication with others, sitting, standing, walking; use hands to finger, handle or feel tools, objects or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
• Work environment: Work will be performed in an office environment and within library spaces. The noise level in the work environment is usually low to moderate.
Schedule: 12-16 hours weekly including evenings and rotating weekends.
Salary: $8.85 - $11.10 per hour
Applications are accepted on an ongoing basis.