Head of Facilities Management
The Kalamazoo Public Library is currently seeking a Head of Facilities Management to provide leadership for all building and grounds care, construction and renovation projects and safety and security systems. This is a unique opportunity for an accomplished professional to lead internal Facilities operations and serve the local community by providing beautiful and welcoming library spaces
Position Summary: Responsible for the management of the operations and personnel of the Facilities Management Department to include planning and design, construction, maintenance, cleaning and security of all library facilities, infrastructure and grounds. The Head of Facilities Management is expected to provide leadership and vision for the department, instill high service standards, and administer the department resources in alignment with the Library’s strategic plan. Reporting to the Library Director, the Head of Facilities Management is a member of the library’s senior management team.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Leads the overall planning, design and development of all library buildings, grounds and workspaces.
2. Leads departmental strategic planning and problem-solving efforts; evaluates appropriate staffing levels and resources; develops and evaluates processes and workflows that support the provision of quality services.
3. Provides direct supervision of custodial, technical and administrative personnel assigned to department. Leads all activities related to hiring, scheduling, training, coaching, performance management, and professional development. Assures that FM staff operate within the policies and procedures of the Library and applicable federal, state and local laws.
4. Manages the inspection of library buildings and ensures compliance with MIOSHA/OSHA, ADA, local building codes and other applicable regulations.
5. Manages all infrastructure repair and renovations projects by identifying and managing resources, bid process, contract compliance, and vendor/contractor performance. Provides design work for building modifications that do not require architect-certified drawings. Ensures that all design and construction contracted by the library meets current statutory, regulatory, and zoning requirements.
6. Responsible for the safety and security of property, buildings and occupancy including access control system, life-safety and security equipment and the procedures that govern monitoring and response. Serves on the Safety and Security Committee and assists with the review and revision of safety and security procedures; provides staff training as needed.
7. Manages the operation and inspection of all building equipment: boilers, industrial and residential HVAC equipment, security system, fire alarms and building automation system. Maintains maintenance programs to optimize the life of the library’s physical assets and property. Ensures that facilities meet government regulations and environmental, health and security standards.
8. Develops and monitors multi-year departmental budgets (capital and expense) to include strategic library improvements, deferred maintenance, building expenditures, repairs and replacements. Develops life cycle analysis and provides regular reporting on all substantial assets within the control of the Facilities Management Department. Facilitates long range capital planning.
9. Promotes sustainability initiatives and practices. Manages integration of sustainability in operating practices, plans and projects. Improves sustainable supply chain management, enhance energy security and resilience for critical operations, and reduce chemicals in facilities operations and carbon footprint.
10. Engages in review, negotiation and administration of contracts with vendors for building repair, maintenance, replacement services, cleaning services, grounds keeping services, materials, supplies, equipment, and others for the purchase of items and services for Library facilities.
11. Coordinates the delivery and logistics to all facilities.
12. Performs library-wide administrative duties; participates in management team meetings and other library committees as assigned; works with other department heads and staff on library-wide matters; represent Library in external organization and activities; serves as administrator on call.
Job Knowledge and skill: Demonstrates broad, in-depth, and up-to-date knowledge of pertinent fields and awareness of current trends in area of specialty. Acts as a resource to others; freely and willingly shares new trends and technology with others.
• Maintains knowledge of current practices and data used in delivering facilities maintenance services, housekeeping/custodial services, furniture fixtures and equipment care.
• Manages processes toward daily facilities management, including maintenance, upkeep and housekeeping.
• Demonstrates basic knowledge and understanding of energy and utilities management and institutional policies related to energy usage and conservation.
• Demonstrates detailed functional knowledge of Metasys HVAC software and lighting control.
• Demonstrates ability to produce construction drawings using AutoCAD software.
• Maintains knowledge of current products and technology for floor covering, wall covering and other fixed assets.
• Assesses space usage and recommends plans based on function and usage data.
• Creates systematic planned replacement cycles.
• Maintains knowledge of applicable statutory, regulatory and administrative requirements relative to departmental operations and ensures department compliance.
• Demonstrates understanding of renovation/construction terminology.
• Demonstrates mechanical/electrical aptitude and proficiency with building trade tools.
• Demonstrates knowledge of OSHA/MIOSHA health and safety regulations and their application to library facilities management.
• Demonstrates well-developed problem solving and troubleshooting skills.
• Bachelor degree in facility management/engineering related discipline or equivalent with a minimum of five years’ experience in management of complex building operations.• Minimum of three years supervisory experience in motivating, training, appraising, and directing the efforts of staff.
• Functional knowledge of Building Automation Systems.
• Previous experience managing complex infrastructure projects.
$66,490 - $88,490 annually. Comprehensive benefits package includes health insurance, fully paid dental, vision, LTD and life insurance; fully paid retirement; vacation, sick leave, and holidays.
Position Type: Full-time/Regular/Exempt
Deadline for applications is Monday, February 19, 2018