Applications may be submitted in person at the Administrative Office on the 3rd floor of Central Library anytime Monday-Friday between the hours of 9 am and 5 pm.
Submit by fax: 269-553-7999
Submit by email: email@example.com
Please note: if submitting electronically, please save your completed application (.pdf) to a local drive or external device first, then send as an attachment.
Current Job Openings
Position Vacancy Announcement
June 14th, 2013
10-13 Hours per week
Alma Powell / Eastwood Branch
Position Summary: Performs general library duties which support the service of the library.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist patrons at the public desks.
- Monitor public areas.
- Instruct patrons on library policy and use of equipment.
- Enter information into databases.
- Perform clerical tasks.
- Discharge and shelve materials.
- Assist with programming as requested.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to communicate clearly with patrons, co-workers and supervisors.
- Ability to follow library policies and procedures, as they relate to issuing library cards, checking out items, and collecting fines and fees.
- Demonstration of excellent customer service skills.
- Ability to work well with diverse populations.
- Evidence of excellent attendance, punctuality and dependability.
- Demonstrated basic proficiency in Microsoft Word and Outlook.
$8.00 - $10.50 per hour
10-13 hours weekly (potential increase to 16-18 hours in the fall); Monday 1-6 pm, Tuesday 3-8 pm, and Saturday 9-12pm.
Applications available in the Administrative Office or at www.kpl.gov/jobs
Completed applications should be sent to Terry New in the Human Resources Office.
Applications accepted until position is filled.
Cataloging Librarian Professional Substitute
20 Hours Weekly
Early July 2013 through mid-February 2014
Position Summary: Responsible for cataloging and classification of library materials in accordance with current cataloging standards and current KPL practices.
Duties and Responsibilities: The following reflects management's definition of essential functions for this job but does not restrict the tasks that may be assigned. Management may assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons.
- Catalogs and classifies library materials: assigns classification, cutters, and subject headings according to KPL practice; performs original and adapted cataloging KPL's ILS.
- Maintains library catalogs; evaluates and corrects as necessary bibliographic and item entries.
- Assists in authority control work; checks and revises use of name and subject entries in catalog.
- Assists in the preparation of statistical reports and analysis.
- Participate in departmental meetings and performs other duties as assigned.
- Course work in cataloging and classification from an ALA accredited school.
- Knowledge of OCLC and MARC tagging.
- Knowledge of AACR-2, DDC, LCSH, and Cutter-Sanborn.
- MLIS from an ALA accredited school.
- One year cataloging experience.
- Cataloging experience using Sirsi Symphony.
- Familiarity with RDA.
$16.50 per hour.
20 hours weekly; flexible schedule Monday - Friday from 9:00 am - 5:00 pm with availability Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday desirable.
Applications available in Administrative Services or at www.kpl.gov/jobs
Completed applications and a recent resumeshould be sent to Terry New in the HR office.
Deadline for applications: Wednesday, June 19, 2013 at 5:00 pm