South Street Historic District

districts-south-500 

530 W. South Street
Source: Photo by Patrick Jouppi, 2010

Description

The South Street Historic District was added to the National Register of Historic Places on 28 August 1979. The district originally consisted of South Street between Oakland Drive and Westnedge Ave. Covering 65 acres, the district contained 29 buildings.

In 1995 the South Street Historic District underwent a boundary increase which increased the the size of the district by 214 acres and added 83 buildings. The new boundaries for the district include W. Lovell Street from Oakland Drive to Pearl Street and Academy Street east of Oakland Drive.

In addition to being listed on the National Register, the South Street Historic District also enjoys local historic district status. The boundaries of the national and local districts are identical.

National Register Information

The following information reflects the manner in which the South Street Historic District is categorized by the National Register of Historic Places and the Michigan State Historic Preservation Office.

Subjects:

  • Person
  • Event
  • Architecture/Engineering
  • Architecture
  • Politics/Government
  • Industry
  • Commerce

Historic Use:

  • Domestic

Current Use:

  • Domestic

Keywords:

  • Little, Frank

Owners:

  • Private
  • Local Government

Architectural Style:

  • Gothic Revival
  • Gothic
  • Italianate
  • Queen Anne
  • Colonial Revival

Period of Significance:

  • 1826-1865

National Register Information System Item Number:

  • 79001159 and 95000447 (Boundary Increase)

Sources

Websites

National Register of Historic Places Official Website--Part of the National Park Service

National Register of Historic Places

The Official Website of the City of Kalamazoo

Michigan.Gov - Center for Geographic Information - Department of Information Technology