4 of 4 Copies Available
- ALMA POWELL: Teen Collection
- CENTRAL: Teen Collection
- EASTWOOD: Teen Collection
- OSHTEMO: New Item Collection
Allies : real talk about showing up, screwing up, and trying again
- 305 A436 TEEN (CEN, EAS, OSH, POW)
Trade paperback edition.
New York, NY : DK Publishing, 2022.
238 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm
"This book is for everyone. Because we can all be allies. As an ally, you use your power--no matter how big or small--to support others. You learn, and try, and mess up, and try harder. In this collection of true stories, 17 critically acclaimed and bestselling YA authors get real about being an ally, needing an ally, and showing up for friends and strangers. From raw stories of racism and invisible disability to powerful moments of passing the mic, these authors share their truths. They invite you to think about your own experiences and choices and how to be a better ally. There are no easy answers, but this book helps you ask better questions. Self-reflection prompts, resources, journaling ideas, and further reading suggestions help you find out what you can do. Because we're all in this together. And we all need allies"--
Originally published in hardcover in the United States in 2021.
- Dana's absolutely perfect fail-safe no mistakes guaranteed way to be an ally / An open letter to the young Black queer / Hey kid, choose your battles / Round and round we go / This is what it feels like / A bus, a poster, and a mirror / Travel logs of a Black Caribbean woman: embracing the glitches / Stutter buddy / The unsafe space / Dismantling judgment / "Why didn't anyone else say anything?" / From author, to ally, to co-conspirator / Lupe / "Did you know Gandhi was racist?" / Lifting as she climbs / Counting on Esteban