2 of 3 Copies Available
- CENTRAL: Audiovisual Collection
- EASTWOOD: Audiovisual Collection
Devil in a blue dress
- BLU-RAY MYSTERY/THRILLER (CEN, EAS)
Director-approved Blu-ray special edition.
English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing.
Denzel Washington, Tom Sizemore, Jennifer Beals, Don Cheadle, Maury Chaykin, Terry Kinney.
[Irvington, NY] : Criterion Collection, 
1 videodisc (101 minutes) : sound, color ; 4 3/4 in. + 1 folded sheet (color illustrations ; 17 cm.)
MPAA rating: R.
"The bone-deep disillusionment of postwar film noir becomes a powerful vehicle to explore America's racial injustices in Carl Franklin's richly atmospheric Devil in a Blue Dress, an adaptation of the hard-boiled novel by Walter Mosley. Denzel Washington has charisma to burn as the jobless ex-GI Easy Rawlins, who sees a chance to make some quick cash when he's recruited to find the missing lover of a wealthy mayoral candidate in late-1940s Los Angeles--only to find himself embroiled in murder, political intrigue, and a scandal that crosses the treacherous color lines of a segregated society. Featuring breakout work by Don Cheadle as Rawlins's cheerfully trigger-happy sidekick, this stylish mystery both channels and subverts classic noir tropes as it exposes the bitter racial realities underlying the American dream."--Container.
Based on the book by Walter Mosley.
Originally released as a motion picture in 1995.
Special features: New 4K digital restoration, approved by director Carl Franklin, with 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack ; audio commentary featuring Franklin ; new conversation between Franklin and actor Don Cheadle ; new conversation between Walter Mosley, author of the novel on which the film is based, and novelist and screewriter Attica Locke ; onstage conversation between Franklin and film historian Eddie Muller, recorded at the 2018 Noir City Film Festival in Chicago ; screen test for Cheadle ; trailer.
- Mosley, Walter > Film adaptations.
- Rawlins, Easy (Fictitious character) > Drama.
- African American private investigators > Drama.
- Private investigators > California > Los Angeles > Drama.
- African American men > California > Los Angeles > Drama.
- Man-woman relationships > California > Los Angeles > Drama.
- Missing persons > Investigation > Drama.
- Murder > Drama.
- Political corruption > Drama.
- Los Angeles (Calif.) > History > 20th century > Drama.