Lower ed : the troubling rise of for-profit colleges in the new economy
- 378.73 M4789 (CEN)
New York : The New Press, 2017.
228 pages ; 22 cm
"Drawing on her personal experience as a former counselor at two for-profit colleges and interviews with students, senior executives and activists, a renowned sociologist reveals how for-profit schools have become so successful and deciphers the benefits, credentials pitfalls and real costs of a for-profit education"--NoveList.
- Introduction: The education gospel
- 1. The real
- 2. The beauty college and the technical college
- 3. Jesus is my backup plan
- 4. When higher education makes cents
- 5. Where credit is due
- 6. Credentials, jobs, and the new economy