Kalamazoo Public Library launched a strategic planning process early this year to consider current, anticipated, and possible future community needs—then determine which of those needs KPL can help meet.
Working with a highly regarded library strategic planner, we learned what library services are most needed and valued in Kalamazoo, keeping in mind resources available from other organizations.
Following are the five overarching services, goals and specific objectives that will guide KPL’s work through the next three years.
Learn more about the strategic planning process.
Create Young Readers
Young children (birth to 5) will have programs, services, and materials to prepare them to enter school ready to learn.
- Young children will check out more easy readers, picture and board books.
- More young children will attend library programs and play the summer reading game.
Parents/caregivers will have the tools and skills needed to prepare young children (birth to 5) to learn when they enter school.
- Parents/caregivers will say the library helps prepare children to enter school with skills they need to succeed.
- Parents and caregivers will attend library programs designed to give them the tools to help their children.
Everyone will have materials and services that provide pleasurable reading, viewing, and listening experiences.
- Patrons of all ages will check out more fiction, nonfiction, music, and movies.
- More youth will attend library programs and play the summer reading game.
- Teens and tweens will say their library spaces are fun and welcoming.
- Adults, teens and tweens will say they found something good to read, listen to, or view at the library.
- Adults will say that they received reserved items in a timely manner.
- Library-sponsored programs will attract 7,500 adults each year.
Connect to the Online World
Everyone in Kalamazoo will have free high-speed access to the online world.
- More people will use library computers and wireless network.
- Library users will say KPL's online services and staff support are very good.
Build Successful Enterprises
Nonprofit organizations will have the tools to build capacity and achieve excellence provided by a securely funded ONEplace.
- At least 1,500 people will attend a ONEplace program each year.
- More individuals or groups will receive assistance from ONEplace.
- Users will evaluate such assistance as very good or excellent.
Discover Your Roots
Everyone will have resources to know local history and to connect past with present through family histories.
- At least 1,000 people will attend a local history/ genealogy program each year.
- Staff will answer at least 6,000 local history/ genealogy questions each year.
- Users will evaluate local history/genealogy services as very good or excellent.
- More people will access local history or genealogy web pages each year.