- Adopted: November 23, 1992
- Effective: November 23, 1992
The purpose of this policy is to make a contribution towards the conservation of our natural resources and the protection of our environment. In that effort, we recognize the need for the library to become environmentally active and to structure its operation to incorporate the following, to the extent fiscally prudent.
- Purchase products made from recycled materials as available and cost effective.
- Require the use of recycled paper on all contract printing, where practical.
- Explore the possibility of returnable/reusable containers with vendors; purchase as appropriate.
- Purchase cleaning and maintenance materials which are least harmful to the environment.
- Explore and implement energy conservation measures.
- Recycle discarded office paper, newspapers, periodicals, and telephone books.
- Recycle or properly dispose of oil, paints, solvents, etc.
- Maintain current materials data sheets on all chemical products used in the library.
- Reduce the amount and frequency of applications in library facilities to the absolute minimum to maintain insect control.
- Use natural methods of weed and pest control on the library grounds.
- Discontinue the use of products with propellants harmful to the environment.
- Use biodegradable products, e.g. balloons, wherever possible.
- Discontinue the use of styrofoam products until recycling options are available.
- Cooperate with environmental organizations and governmental agencies on displays, bookmarks, programs, etc., on environmental issues.
- Ensure that the collection has current information on environmental topics.
- Provide employees with the latest data on KPL's environmental actions.