Waldo Stadium, Western State Teachers College, 1940
Waldo Stadium was constructed in 1939 as a Works Progress Administration project. Construction of the stadium and the adjacent baseball diamond cost approximately $270,000. It was named after Dwight B. Waldo, the school's first president. The original seating capacity was 15,000 and that was expanded a number of times over the year, eventually doubling to 30,000 in 1989.The first night game was held at Waldo Stadium in 1992 under temporary lighting, with permanent lighting added in 1994.
Waldo Stadium, Western Michigan University, 2011
The addition of the John Gill Stadium Club in 1995 (pictured above the stands on the left), the Bill Brown Alumni Football Center (behind the stands on the right) in 1998, and the Donald J. Seelye Athletic Center (not pictured) in 2003 have rounded out the facility's current aesthetic, giving it what Kathy Beauregard, former WMU Athletic Director called "...a real collegiate look."