Kalamazoo Central High School, from the corner of Westnedge and Dutton, c1936-1941
The building pictured here is the fourth school to occupy the grounds at the corner of Westnedge and Dutton. The first high school was opened in 1858, the second in 1881, and the third in 1898.In 1912, additional classroom buildings and gymnasium buildings were contstructed.
Read the story: Kalamazoo Central High School
Old Kalamazoo Central High School, 2010
Now known as "Old Central High School", the school closed in 1972. The building still contributes to the educational landscape of Kalamazoo, serving a community education center. The building has also become an important to the theatrical community of Kalamazoo, housing the Howard Chenery Auditorium.