The Stuart Area District was added to the National Register of Historic Places on 27 May 1983. The district is roughly bounded by the Michigan Central Railroad, Douglas, Forbes, W. Main, North, Elm Streets. and Grand Avenue. Covering 1220 acres, the district contains 372 buildings, 50 of which were added in a 1995 boundary increase that included sections of Ransom, Willard, Eleanor, Douglas, and North Streets., as well as Allen Boulevard.
In addition to being listed as a national historic district, the Stuart Area also enjoys local historic district status. The boundaries of the national and local district are identical.
National Register Information
The following information reflects the manner in which the Stuart Area Historic District is categorized by the National Register of Historic Places and the Michigan State Historic Preservation Office.
- Colonial Revival
- Gothic Revival
- Greek Revival
- Queen Anne
Period of Significance:
National Register Information System Item Number:
- 83000874 and 9500048 (Boundary Increase)