Drake/Lindbergh School

Rural Schools of Kalamazoo County > Kalamazoo Township

Location: (District #9 Fractional) - Section 19, north side of Michigan Avenue, east of Drake Road.

Drake School was renamed Lindbergh School, presumably after aviator Charles Lindbergh, sometime after 1928. It was replaced by a new building “near the US-131 bridge” in the mid-1950s and was annexed to the Kalamazoo Public Schools in 1957.

Teachers

1925-26 Bertha Smith
1927-31 Floy Foreman
1931-33 Muriel Cronkhite
1933-35 Helen Buckham
1935-42 Leora Thompson
1942-43 Grace Green
1943-44 Marian D. Leach
1944-45 Helen Bunce
              Kittie Korstange
1945-46 Frederika Carter
              Kittie Korstange
1946-47 Kittie Korstange
1947-48 Irene Heeringa
1948-54 Loretta Locher
1954-55 Loretta Locher
              Audrey Hill
1955-56 Loretta Locher
              Mildred Januska
1956-57 Loretta Locher
              Catherine Voelker

Sources

Maps and atlases

USGS topographic maps for Kalamazoo County, 1918 (Kalamazoo Quadrangle)

  • History Room map case, left drawer #1

Plat book of Kalamazoo County, Michigan

  • Wheaton, Glen C.
  • Rockford, IL: Thrift Press, Map Makers, 1928.
  • History Room atlas case, left shelf #1

Files

History Room Subject File: Kalamazoo Public Schools: Lindbergh School

Teachers' and School Officers' Directory, Kalamazoo County, Michigan, 1925-1957 (title varies)

  • Shelved in a pamphlet box with H 379.774 K149  (History Room Storage)