If you have a Sony® eReader:
What you will need:
- Your Sony E-reader
- Your personal computer with internet access
- With Adobe Digital Editions installed and activated with an Adobe Identification (ID)
- You also need to activate your Sony E-reader with the same Adobe ID
- A Kalamazoo Public Library account (In District Only)
Installing Sony Reader Software:
On your personal computer you will need to install the Sony Reader Library.
- Connect Reader to computer via USB cable
- Follow install wizard
- Once Reader Library is installed-opens Reader Store
Note: You need to install Reader Library, even though downloads are managed using Adobe Digital Editions.
Installing Adobe Digital Editions software
On your personal computer you will need to download Adobe Digital Editions. To download and install Adobe Digital Editions, complete the following:
- Go to the Adobe Digital Editions download page
- Click on “Install Digital Editions,” click on “Adobe Digital Editions Installer” and then click Launch. The Adobe Digital Editions Installer screen is displayed.
- Click ‘Yes’ in the Adobe Digital Editions Installer screen to begin the download of the ADE. The ADE license screen is displayed.
- If you accept the terms of the license agreement, click the ‘I Agree’ button. ADE is installed. ADE opens once installation is complete.
Next, you need to activate ADE using an Adobe ID:
- Open ADE. The ‘Set Up Assistant’ dialog box is displayed.
- Click ‘continue’. The ‘Authorize Computer’ screen is displayed
- In the appropriate fields, enter the email address and password for you Adobe ID. If you do not already have an Adobe ID, click ‘get an Adobe ID online’ and follow the instructions to sign up for an Adobe ID.
- Click ‘Activate’. Your computer is activated to your Adobe ID.
- Click ‘Finish’ to close the ‘Set Up Assistant’ dialog box.
Next, you need to activate your Sony Reader using an Adobe ID.
Note: you must have the Sony Ebook Library software installed on your computer to transfer Adobe ebooks to the Sony Reader. Download Sony Reader firmware upgrades and the Sony ebook Library software. Please note that the display of Adobe ebooks on Sony Reader may vary, depending on the nature of the content.
To activate a supported Sony Reader using an Adobe ID
- Connect the E-reader device to your computer
- Open Adobe Digital Editions. ADE launches and detects the E-reader. The ‘Device Set Up Assistant’ dialog box is displayed.
- Click ‘Authorize Device’. ADE activates the E-reader device. You can now transfer DRM-protected Adobe ebooks to the device.
Search and download books to your device
- Go to www.kpl.gov
- Under the Popular links click on E-books
- Then click on Download eBooks and Digital Audiobooks
- Click Log In. Enter your home library and your valid library card number
- Search the catalog for an available title that you’d like to download and that is compatible with your Sony Reader (Adobe E-Pub)
- When you locate an available title that can be downloaded to your Sony Reader, click available—add to bookbag
- Your lending period will be shown
- Click Proceed to Checkout
- Next, click Download to begin downloading the item
- Once you click Download, Adobe Digital Editions should automatically open and the ebook should begin downloading. If prompted to Open or Save, click “Open.”
- Select the book you’d like to transfer by clicking on the cover. Next, drag the book over to the Sony icon (may be a model number) located under Bookshelves. When a green plus sign appears, release the mouse and the transfer should begin.
- Safely remove your USB cable.