Environmental Stewardship and Sustainability Policy
The Kalamazoo Public Library believes that in order to fulfill our purpose in serving the community, we must be engaged in the ongoing effort to limit the environmental impact of our operations, and strive to be a leader in modeling ecologically sustainable practices. As we work to build a place for community engagement, we are committed to providing resources for our patrons to learn about sustainability through our collections and programming.
As we seek to reduce our impact on the environment, we are committed to continually evaluating our processes, and taking actions to:
• Reduce the amount of energy we consume
• Reduce the amount of natural resources we consume
• Reduce the amount of pollutants we contribute
• Increase the amount of recycling in our waste stream
• Make purchasing decisions that place a high value on sustainably produced products
• Promote the use of sustainable transportation
We will actively seek methods to measure our impact and communicate results.
Policy adopted November 23, 1992
Policy effective November 23, 1992
Revisions adopted March 28, 2016