Registration is closed for ONLA 2013.
Please return in the Fall for details on ONLA 2014.
ONEplace Nonprofit Leadership Academy (ONLA)
The ONEplace Nonprofit Leadership Academy (ONLA) offers twenty students the opportunity for an in-depth exploration of leading a nonprofit organization. A variety of local experts and practitioners guide the students through structure and governance, fundraising, program development and management, marketing and communications, financial management, and human resources. Further, students discover their own leadership qualities and challenges through assessments, group discussion, and various exercises.
Each student either finds or is assigned a mentor for the duration of the ONLA. The mentor (usually a current executive director) meets with the student every other week to further discuss topics raised in class and other related issues. These relationships allow students to assimilate material into their own experience and learn the interrelationships of issues from someone in the field.
ONLA Class Sessions
Ten class sessions, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. every other Friday beginning January 18 – May 17, 2013*. Classes meet at the Oshtemo branch of the Kalamazoo Public Library.
Students arrange their meeting schedules with individual mentors. Generally, one-hour meetings are held during the weeks that the class does not meet.
Candidates for ONLA must be currently employed in a nonprofit organization in Kalamazoo County with an annual expense budget of $500,000 or more. The ideal candidate supervises at least one staff member and is responsible for a program or key function of the organization. ONLA also will consider current executive directors of smaller nonprofit organizations.
- Discuss ONLA participation with supervisor and executive director. The application requires signature of the executive director approving your release time for ONLA.
- Secure your recommendation letters and prepare your resume
- Assemble the completed application, recommendations and resume and submit to ONEplace@kpl no later than November 30, 2012.
- Students will be notified by December 7, 2012 of their enrollment status. The class is limited to 20 students.
- Accepted students will attend an orientation meeting (date/time TBA). The meeting will be held at the Central Library.
[2013 Academy has begun. Future Academy info will be posted in September 2013]
Any questions, concerns, or comments may be directed to Thom Andrews, ONEplace@kpl Director: ThomA@kpl.gov or 269-553-7899.
* ONLA class dates are: Jan 18, Feb 1, Feb 15, Mar 1, Mar 15, Mar 29, Apr 12, Apr 26, May 10, and May 17